My last post was titled Walking Forward and ironically, on that same day FortheLoveofBooks nominated me for the Versatile Blogger Award. To continue to pay forward the tradition, here are seven facts about myself and 15 blogs that I would like to nominate for the Versatile Blogger:
7 Facts About Me
1) I think that all movies and TV shows should have to flash a 30 second warning before they show any images of snakes so that I have enough time to hide my eyes.
2) I can’t keep Coca-Cola in the house because I will drink the whole case, or the whole bottle, in one night. The same applies to chocolate milk.
3) I live my life in turtlenecks and I hate them. I have never been able to wear the clothes I want because my skin is very sensitive to the weather and most fabrics do not provide adequate protection for my poorly insulated skin. I have lived a life of chronic pain and discomfort and until about eight years ago, I did not publicly reveal the physical limitations of living with Ichthyosis. I long for and loathe the first sweltering day of summer because it is the first day of the year when I am not in pain and can ditch the turtlenecks; it is also the first day of a long summer full of disrespectful and derogatory comments from strangers about the appearance of my skin. In the community of my childhood no one ever treated me poorly because of my skin. Adulthood has not always been so kind. I am very grateful to have grown up amongst people, both friends and acquaintances, who were and continue to be supportive and protective. It is truly amazing to have grown up amongst people who provided such an empowering space for me to thrive.
4) The only way I would ever bungee jump is if I were diagnosed with only six months to live.
5) I am a first generation college graduate from a family of people with multiple intelligences, skills and curiosities.
6) I was once in an MTV Music Video.
7) Although you might no glean it from this blog; I swear like a Mother%$#@* in the privacy of my own home.
15 Blogs I Love: Nominations for Versatile Blogger
1) GirlsLikeGiants : Smart, sassy, ladies who write about the politics of popular culture.
2) ILOVEUPSTATENY : When I say that I love NY, I don’t just mean the city; I am talking about the entire state. If you questions this, for any reason, visit ILOVE UPSTATENY to see some beautiful photos that will change your mind.
3) Seclectic : Sagely advice and witty commentary by a pensioner and his companion traveling the world together.
4) it is late last night the dog was speaking of you: Toronto Literary Agent Drea Cohane writes about the world of 21st C. publishing and offers fantastic references to the SMITHS (one of my all time favorite bands). Drea, enjoy your time in NY for the BEA!
5) CatherineCaffeninated : Catherine Howard, Irish author of Mousetrapped, a memoir of her year working in Orlando, turned digital publishing into a sustainable career and her story is quite inspirational.
6) Blackberry Eating in Late September: I cook for survivial, not for pleasure. If I weren’t married to a man who cooks a lovely dinner each evening, I would pretty much eat sour cream and onion potato chips every night. Therefore I am inspired (and a tad bit jealous) every time I read about the author’s decadent and exquisite creations.
7) Bread, Butter, Poetry : Poetry AND Food! It doesn’t get much better than this blog based on the Cookbook for Poor Poets.
8) A Million Ancient Bees : This blog, in its original incarnation, was really my inspiration to start blogging. Sarahlitchick writes in a voice so honest; it would inspire anyone to tell their stories.
9)The Cognitive Turn : Sharp, compelling writing about Early Modern England and its applications to 21st Culture.
10) The Lonely Walker’s Blog : An incredible project combining striking photographs and elegant prose. Worth following!
11) Errant Adventures: The journey to PhD and beyond.
12) Adventures in Grad Land : I started reading this blog under its original title, Adventures in Grad Land, when she re-blogged a post by one of my all time favorite people, Jonathan Senchyne, about life as a graduate student in the humanities. Her observations of post-Grad and Grad life are refreshing, balanced and humorous.
13) Over and Under: When I was 13 my best friend and I decided that we would travel to New Zealand on our 39th birthday (now nine years away) and until that day, looking at photos by expat author of Over and Under on her life in New Zealand is always a treat.
14) ForesthillsCSA : A Wealth of Resources for QNS residents about sustainable agriculture in the borough.
15) The Victorian Era : A former Victorianist of sorts, I adore catching up on the latest writing and theories about the 19th C.
CONGRATULATIONS Bloggers! Now it’s time to pay forward the Versatile Blogging Award.